The Essential NetApp Manager’s Toolkit
The impressive growth of data combined with migration to the cloud and increasing virtualization all require dedicated resources and centralized planning further challenging today’s DBAs to upgrade and modernize data storage infrastructures and provide peak performance.
NetApp’s newly integrated tools including the NetApp OnCommand Performance Manager (OCPM) and OnCommand Unified Manager (OCUM), enable better management of NetApp Data ONTAP environments from a unified system.
Here’s why OCPM and OCUM are vital parts of any NetApp manager’s toolkit.
OCUM and OCPM: Simplifying the monitoring process
OCUM 6.4 makes it easy to monitor both capacity and performance from a single pane of glass. When coupled with OCPM 2.4, managers enjoy access to Performance View providing an overview of data storage infrastructure and performance. NetApp FAS and All Flash FAS storage are monitored via this potent combination of tools.
Utilizing the “Favorites” feature in Performance View, managers can drill down on individual components of the data storage system without leaving the interface. This feature enables the monitoring of up to 20 different storage objects, including your most critical storage resources, from a single UI and provides in-depth data about capacity, uptime, and performance.
The proliferation of data storage objects and tools is one of the biggest problems in data management. Together, OCUM 6.4 and OCPM 2.4 consolidate storage functions to solve this issue with a solution so simple to use, that even generalist IT personnel can utilize them.
Notable OCUM features include:
- Generates ‘smart’ alerts that offer suggestions for system corrections
- Displays information about general storage health and detailed views by cluster, aggregate, or virtual machine
- Allows managers to reduce total data storage through the optimization of FAS and All Flash FAS storage systems
- Produces regular analysis reports on essential operations and NetApp’s Storage Automation Store that can be imported to OCUM
- Automates data protection when provisioning
- Provides views of historical data to help implement system changes
- Integrates with third-party management solutions by using OnCommand API Services
With OCPM, users enjoy access to the following features that enable performance monitoring:
- Enables users to optimize performance with the dashboard display of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Provides visual analysis and comparison of performance of different objects and clusters with Performance Explorer
- Sets thresholds and automate alerts to inform managers of delayed I/O response times and CPU bottlenecks
- Monitors storage aggregates to ensure optimal performance
- Drills down to find the cause of performance bottlenecks
NetApp’s OCUM and OCPM are vital tools for data managers today. If you need help optimizing your NetApp storage system, contact SLAIT Consulting. As a premier NetApp Star partner, our experts will help set up your storage environment for optimal performance, storage capacity, and security for more efficient and improved business operations.